Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2002 X type: the right front wheel (hub) bearing is..low speed..tire

I have a 2002 X type with 81000 miles, and I think maybe the right front wheel (hub) bearing is going bad. I can hear noise at low speed every tire rotates. How much trouble and expense is it to have it repaired if it is a bearing? Can I jack up one front tire, with the transmission in neutral and turn the tire? James E. [email protected]
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Is this a low groan or moaning noise? Does the noise change when turning or making quick steering maneuvers?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not seen you answer.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I did not supply an answer as I just need a little more detail on your problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a groan, not continous, just each rotation of the tire, it may be a little louder when turning to the left, more than turning to the right, but not much.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Based on your description the noise is most likely from the transfer case or wheel bearing. I do not think this is a bearing as usually the noise will change when turning. If the noise sounds like it is underneath you it is usually the transfer case. If it sounds like it is coming from behind you it may be from the diff. I also think we should make sure the tires have even tread and are not worn or cupped.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I stated in my first statement, it is coming from the RIGHT FRONT, not under the center or left side, I also ask for an estimated cost to repair if it is a hub bearing.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
It still could be a transfer case or bearing but like I stated I suspect it is in fact the bearing and the cost for replacement is about $50.00 in parts and 2-3 hours labor.