Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

2000 XJ8: dripping..differential..fluid level..warning light comes on

my 2000 XJ8 has fluid dripping from the differential in several differant spots what kind of fluid is it and how can I check the fluid level I need to drive it about 120 miles from a remote area. Can I add fluid periodically and how far can I go after warning light comes on? Thank you for your timely response
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

The fluid is a synthetic 75W 140 rear differential fluid. There is a 1/2" square drive plug on the diff case cover that needs to be removed in order to fill it with fluid. A syringe or suction type of tool is needed to do this. The fill plug is in a tight location but a short extension and ratchet normally does the trick.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I believe that the differential takes 2 liters of fluid it is a very slow drip do you think I can get 150 miles before i have real problems?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Yes it takes about 2.5 liters when empty. If it is a slow drip and you hear no abnormal noises you should be able to drive.