Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Jaguar S type I have a transmission fault message. I checked

I have a transmission fault message. I checked for the meaning fo the fault and it said is P1388. can tou tell me what is that and if it's related to the transmission.
Thanks

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.

Engine Control - MIL ON, P1383 or P1388

S303-09

S-TYPE

DATE 07/02

MODEL
2000-02 MY
S-TYPE 3.0L VIN

L00001-M44997

MIL Illuminated - 3.0L V6 - False Flagging of DTC P1383 or P1388 - Reprogram PCM

Issue:

Some 2000-01 MY S-TYPE vehicles may experience illumination of the MIL with DTCs P1383 or P1388 (over retarded camshaft timing) stored.

To eliminate the false flagging of DTCs P1383 and P1388, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) should be re-programmed using WDS software release JTP759/14 or later.

Note: The PCM is described as the ECM when using WDS.

When entering the ECM re-configuration section the user will be prompted to determine the engine serial number of the vehicle.

If the first six digits of the engine number are outside the specified serial number range (103981*** to 127908***) the user will be allowed through to re-calibrate the vehicle PCM with a standard set of calibrations.

If the engine serial number falls within the given range the system will automatically divert to a more aggressive set of calibrations.

Action:

In case of a customer complaint of the above condition on a 2000-01 MY S-TYPE vehicle within the above VIN range, follow the workshop procedure outlined below.

A/T - Harsh/Slow Shifts/Reprogram PCM

S307-07

S-TYPE

DATE
07/02 MODEL

2000-02 MY
S-TYPE 3.0L VIN
L00001-M44997

Harsh/Slow Shifts - 3.0L V6 Vehicles - Reprogram PCM

Issue:

Customers of some 2000-01 MY S-TYPE vehicles may complain about harsh shifts or shifts that take too long to complete.

To improve harsh gear change, and the general performance of the automatic transmission, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) should be re-programmed using the latest release (JTP759/14 or later) of the Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS) disc.

Note: The PCM is described as an ECM when using WDS.

Action:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I' am trying to understand this . Can you tell me what will be the fair charge to fix this ?
Sorry, that is from 2 different service bulletins. The PCM configuration may need to be updated. That would have to be done by the dealer. The warranty time is about half an hour but they will more than likely charge a minimum of about one hour.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you send again the first part with the details of the calibration that need to be done?
I didn't understand about the fair charge from the dealer.
OK...if the dealer charges $100 per hour and they charge you 1 hour...that is $100

If they charge $120 per hour....that would come to $120.

Here is one of the bulletins

Here is the other

I don't know what else you may need.