Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2002 Jaguar S-Type: trunk..terminal..battery charger..ground

Customer Question

2002 Jaguar S-Type 3.0
I cannot get into the trunk. The
battery is dead. I have no key.
An online (forum) suggestion
says there is a terminal under the
hood that one can hook the positive
of a battery charger to, and hooking
the negative to a ground. I see no such
terminal. Another suggestion is that there
is a naked wire on the fuse box that the positive
of a battery charger can be hooked to. But the
fuse box is a closed system and there is no
naked wire. Do you have an answer for getting
the trunk open? Thanks
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

If you go under the hood you will see the fuse box on the passenger side. Flip open the lid and on the top row you will see empty fuse spots with one blade terminal off it. You can install the red positive lead of your booster there then the black ground lead to the body. This will give you enough power to open the trunk provided the alarm does not go off. You can also use a charger that goes into the cigar lighter element which will also get you in the trunk.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went into the fuse box and did as you instructed. The

radio worked; dome lights came on; seats would go

back and forth (electronic); fuel gate on passenger

rear quarter panel would open. However, the trunk

would not open. Any suggestions now?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Go into the glove box to see if the valet in engaged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked this several times. I tried it both ways

but am reasonably sure that when the button

is out that it is not engaged.

The information about the fuse box was great as

it obviously sent some power into the vehicle. It

just didn't allow the trunk to open yet. I do not

think it is a matter of letting it 'charge' for awhile,

but I did this for a few minutes anyway. I would think

it would take very little power to open the trunk if

everything else were okay. It used to open easily

before I let the battery run down (big mistake).

Would a pop-a-lock guy (yellow pages) likely be

able to open it without damage? I have no idea.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
DO you have a black master key but the trunk lock cylinder will not turn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no key of any kind; key was lost in a mountain lake.

The trunk opened easily with either the key (even if

battery was down) or the push button below and to the

left of the dash (by the fuel door release button) when

the battery was charged.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I am thinking there is an issue with the latch or wiring in the trunk. If there is a dealer close to you have them cut you a key which will get you in the trunk. This key will not start the vehicle until it is programmed with the Jag factory tool.