Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

X-Type: 000 miles..Which is EVAP Emission Control System Leak (small)

I have a 2002 Jaguar, X-Type with 80,000 miles. My engine light has come on 3 or 4 times lately and when I do an engine check with my OBD II Pocket Scan the reading is P0442. Which is EVAP Emission Control System Leak (small). When I put gas in the tank I make sure to turn it tightly and then while doing highway driving that light comes on again. Do I need a new gas cap or is something more serious (expensive) going on?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

That fault code is for a leak in the evap emissions system which is the excess fuel vapor that is stored and re burnt. When the ECM detects a leak in the system it will store that fault code. The system will need to be tested for the leak. Special tools and equipment are needed to do this. You can try replacing the fuel cap and have the codes cleared.