Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Why does my 1999 jaguar xj8 lose coolant when I shut off the engine?

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. There is a tester for that, that you can gt from Autozone for about $20. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available as:

Napa BK.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high.It may be releasing the pressure after it's shut off.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello again ,is there any other condition that could cause fluid to run out?
They sometimes do get some leaks from around the hose clamps. That you would be able to see when the system is under pressure though. Also, the coolant tanks will sometimes get some small cracks in them. There is a way to pressure test it with a special adapter on the pressure test kit. If need be, I sometimes put some florecent dye in the systems to show the leak, but I always rather check for any internal engine damage first, so there are no surprizes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks but do I have to pay again for this answer?
No, you don't have to pay again, you can have follow up questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi,I hit the accept box and it says I have to pay additional charges
No, it shouldn't say that..it may mean if you wanted to add a bonus, but you deffinatly don't have to. It's been a while since I asked a question, (in the legal category) but it seemed like it was offering me a monthly membership, which I didn't take. I am pretty sure that after the original deposit that you don't have to pay any more. I will try and check with one of the administrators when one come in though, but I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you, thanks again though.