Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Jaguar X-Type: The trunk on my jaguar x type wont open. How

The trunk on my jaguar x type wont open. How do I fix this?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to

When you press the button on the lid do you hear any noise from the latch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I hear the little click it usuallly makes when I open the trunk, but then its like its jammed or something like that so it won't release
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
OK this problem is usually caused by a faulty actuator in the trunk latch. Since there is no manual lock cylinder opening it can be hard. You can continue to press the button at the same time while an assistant pushes down and pulls up on the trunk lid to see if it will catch. The module will time out if you continue to activate the trunk switch so it will no longer energize the latch actuator. You will need to wait a minutes till it start to work again. To bypass this you can jump power at the module connector. Locate the GEM module which is a black module under the passenger side dash. It has 5 color coded connectors. Locate the 23 way green connector and disconnect it by un clipping and pulling the lock lever down. Jump battery power to pin 2 orange wire and the latch should activate. Keep jumping it while your assistant tries to pull the lid open.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where do I find this black console??
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

The module is a black square box with 5 color coded connectors under the passenger corner of the dash.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it under the engine hood or how am I to get to it??
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Look under the passenger corner of the dash board inside your vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Ok open the passenger front door and look underneath the corner of the dash. You will see a square black module with 5 wiring connectors plugged into it. That is the GEM module which controls the central locking system. You can try to jump power to the wire that activates the trunk lock actuator. This is pin 2 orange wire of the 23 way green connector. If you do not feel comfortable with doing this then you should take it to a qualified repair shop or dealer. Thanks.