Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar 2000 How do you fix the ASC TRAC NOT AVAILABLE warning

Customer Question

How do you fix the ASC TRAC NOT AVAILABLE warning on a 2000 Jaguar XJR?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Is that the only warning message that comes on as you mention limp mode in your description? When the warnings come on do you feel a difference in how the vehicle performs? Do you know if the shop was able to retrieve any fault codes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Richard,

I'm noticing a trend. It would say "ENGINE COOLANT LOW" first. Then after about a week of all right driving it would start going into "FAIL SAFE ENGINE MODE ON" & "ASC TRAC NOT AVAILABLE" interchangeably on some of the most random places. This would cause it to not engage the accelerator so there is a definite difference on the performance of the vehicle.

I find it odd that it would always happen during weekend nights when I go out to town but I digress! It's just really frustrating because it performed great all thru out summer and fall! I just picked this kitty up last July '10 & had 106k miles on it. Really clean and the previous owner really took care of it. Scanned CARFAX for it and it came out excellent. Although it was in "FAIL SAFE ENGINE MODE ON" the first day I tried to test drive from the dealer they somehow fixed a part and it was fine from then. He said it was a Jaguar security thing when transferring from owner to owner. So my hunch is that it's mainly computer/electrical more than anything.

The mechanics at Fat City German Cars confirmed that there aren't any leaks in the engine coolant and I'm really cool with them. Error codes that they found were P1121 and P1571. They replaced the tank cap for engine coolant because a place I tried to refill the coolant with couldn't get any suction with their equipment with the old tank cap, they replaced the brake light switch, and they also replaced the accelerator cable's grommet into the firewall because they said it was worn down. They also mentioned that the accelerator cable also needed just the right slack?? in order for the warning message not to show up. Although ever since then I noticed a lag in the time it takes to inject fuel and for the car to accelerate. I also need to push down much further on the gas pedal in order to get max power.

Total parts and labor for this repair cost me $657.03 and it didn't fix the problem. I'm finding in a lot of the forums fellow drivers that have spent thousands or dollars on repairs only to find the same error message to show up shortly after. I would hate to overlook a simple solution over one that would cost a fortune. So I wouldn't mind being open minded and paying for your advise especially if you have testimonials from previous drivers who were in similar situations like mine.

Here are just some of the suggestions that I found that got rid of the error messages permanently:

#1) Use Electrical Contact Cleaner to Clean the Throttle Position Sensor Connector
#2) Clean the Break Light Switch and fill it with WD40
#3) Clean Throttle Body

Thank you very much for listening and talk to you soon!

Teddy
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hey Teddy thanks for the info. First it sounds like the accelerator cable was not adjusted properly. The reason for that failsafe is the code P1121 which is for the pedal position sensor. This is the sensor on the driver side of the throttle which detects where the accelerator pedal is via that cable. The fix is to replace the throttle. The part is costly which is why I recommend coventrywest.com, jagbits.com, jaguarpartscenter.com, motorcarsltd.com, britishparts.com, welshent.com, or jaggraveyard.com as they all specialize in discounted Jag parts. Also bba-reman.com rebuilds them. You can try spraying some contact cleaner inside that sensor as this may help but I can tell you that I only fixed a couple of vehicles that way.