Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2003 Jaguar: battery died..jump start..crank..the fuel system has been

Customer Question

My battery died on my 2003 Jaguar "S Type". I attempted to jump start it with jumper cables attached to another vehicle and it would crank but would'nt start. It seems like the fuel system has been disabled. I charged the battery and tried again and the same occurred. I followed the Owner's manual instructions for resetting the brake and security system then even tried pushing the Inertia reset. I checked all the fuel pump and fuel system fuses and still feel like fuel is not getting to the engine. What should I do next?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Since the engine is cranking but not starting we need to do some checks. First make sure that your battery is fully charged. Next we need to check for fuel and spark, Some special tools are need to do this but a quick and inexpensive test would be to purchase a can of carb cleaner and spray into the air intake tube. Have an assistant crank the engine to see if it will start and run on the spray. If it does this is a fuel delivery problem and fuel pressure as well as battery power to the pump will need to be checked.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Richard,

Thanks again for your help! It was a bad fuel pump that I had to replace. I did run into some trouble that I need to figure out. Unfortunately the parts tech. at my local Jag Dealership gave me some bad information regarding the gas filter fuel line connectors. He insisted that I did not need a fuel line tool to remove the old filter nor the lines to the fuel pump. After dropping $877.00 (Which included a $177.56 Core charge?), for the pump, filter and (2) tank gaskets, I was happy not to spend anymore for a tool that I was'nt going to need. Unfortunately, he was only right about the tank connectors so I wound up breaking one of the filter connectors trying to remove the fuel line. Now I can't seem to find a 90 degree replacement connector. Any recommendations? Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Which side broke? The one going to the back or front of your vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was the one going back - Inlet side of the filter
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I thought they made a repair kit but it is not for this vehicle. You will need to replace the line which sounds harder then it is. The part number should be XR816432.