Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

xj8: jag..like to replace the front strut..air suspension..coil/spring

Customer Question

i have a 04 jag xj8, like to replace the front strut. is this a task taht I can take on at home.

this seems to be a air suspension that many call CATS. but when i look for replacement parts on the internet, i only see traditional coil/spring. this is not what is on my 04 XJ, right?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Richard :

Yes you have air struts/springs on this vehicle but replaement is not that difficult. You will need to use Jag parts.

Customer :

i searched internet for 04 strut and keep coming up with at kyb struts, but it doesn't look like what i have on my 04 XJ. kyb doesn't fit, right?

Richard :

For the parts I recommend coventrywest.com, welshent.com, jaguarpartscenter.com, jagbits.com or jaggraveyard.com as they specialize in Jag parts.

Richard :

You need to use the Jag factory parts.

Customer :

jaguar parts center seems to be all mixed up. when i search for front suspension, the parts listed are only for rear. is there a part # XXXXX am looking for? also, i was told to replace the strut by non jag shop when i was getting an alignment. is this typical?

Customer :

jagbits.com is the only one that seems to have the front air suspension...at a cost of $800. how do i determine if the suspension needs to be replaced.

Richard :

Sorry for the delay. What kind of problem are you having and can I have the last six digits of your VIN'.