Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

Jaguar XJ8 Windshield wipers not working. fuse box does not

Windshield wipers not working. fuse box does not match the pictures in the owners handbook for the XJ models. Cannot find the right fuse to replace for wipers. Which one is it?

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There should be a big fuse box and a small one under the hood. You want to big one on the left side and the fuse is #22, (30 amp) for the wipers.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked fuse and fuse is not blown. I even swapped it with another 30amp fuse. Wipers still do not work. Any idea what the problem could be if it is not the fuse?
That could be the relay, wiper motor or the switch. I would check at the motor for power and ground, and also check the relays.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. One more question. How will I know if one of the relays is bad, and how can I check for power and ground at the motor?
The relay, (wiper on/off) should have voltage to one of the wires all the time and one should be a ground. When you turn the wipers on then one of the other wires will get grounded and the relay should click, (close) and that will send the power to the motor.

Now, the check the wiper motor for power and ground you will want to take the top covers off at the rear of the engine compartment and check at the connector that goes to the wiper motor.

Another thing is with a bad motor you can sometimes just tap on it lightly and if it comes on, you know the motor is bad. You may even want to try pulling on the blade when the wipers are on to see if that will jarr it to start.