Euro Specialist
Euro Specialist, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Owner/Operator of a European automotive repair business

Floor jack on an X Type? Same question for an XF. Thank you.

Customer Question

Where would you use a floor jack on an X Type? Same question for an XF. Thank you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Euro Specialist replied 3 years ago.

HighwayRepair :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer

HighwayRepair :

Jaguar technically does not recommend using the supplied floor jack to perform repairs on their vehicles, only in an emergency situation to change a flat tire. I can provide the suggested lift points for you though, You shouldn't work on a vehicle being supported by a jack, you should jack it up and place a jack stand under the vehicle before performing repairs.

HighwayRepair :

HERE is a document showing the lift points for your x-type.

HighwayRepair :

The jacking points will also be used on your xf

Customer:

I know where to use the supplied

Customer:

I know where to use the jack that Jaguar supplies. My question was where to use a hydraulic floor jack.

HighwayRepair :

use it at the same lift points, I was merely stating that jaguar does not want you using the jaguar supplied jack to perform any repairs other than emergency tire changes. Additionally, it is not a good idea to use just a floor jack to perform repairs under a vehicle, you would want to jack the vehicle up and place a jack stand under the vehicle to support it while repairs are being performed

Euro Specialist, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Owner/Operator of a European automotive repair business
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You answered my question. I understand about the jack stand. I really am just putting on a separate set of wheels with snow tires, and the Jaguar jack is a pain in the behind to use. I bought a hydraulic jack today and want to be sure I don't put big holes in the bottom of the car.
the vehicle will be safe if you use the supplied information, to be sure, watch the contact point between the jack and the vehicle and make sure no metal is being bent. Just go slow and steady and be "aware" to prevent risk of the hydraulic jack allowing the vehicle to lower over time, since you are merely replacing the wheels it is less of an issue, but if you place a vehicle on a hydraulic jack and let it sit more many hours, it is possible that the jack will allow the vehicle to lower.

Thanks for using JustAnswer and take care. Please let me know if you have any further questions.