Anthony
Anthony, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

1997 jaguar xk8: timing chain has skipped..chain and tensioners

I have a 1997 jaguar xk8 and it sounds like the timing chain has skipped, is the engine done or can i change the chain and tensioners and not have to replace the engine?

Hello Sir or Madam. Welcome to justanswer!

How low is the compression?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I havent checked it, thought it was just a misfire but the plugs didnt fix it. Seems to run pretty smooth other than the noise. lots of power even in limp mode
If its hitting on all eight, you can do the chains. It only skipped a tooth in that case. DOnt run it until you fix it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thats what i was hoping.and to check if its hitting on all 8 i can crank it manually and test the compression with my finger?
NO, you need a gauge and it should read over 120...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can i do the compression test cold? it says to do it at operating temp but as you say i dont want to start it again

Good morning!

You can do it cold. See what reading you get from the right and left front cylinders. Let me know what you get...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok so looking at the car from the front going toward the back I got the following compression: Left side: 140,140,150,140. Right side 120,125,130,120 (this one takes the longest to get there and seems to have the least compression) there is a bit of oil in the plug holes so im guessing the readings are not entirely accurate

Ok the right side chains have a problem based on your readings.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so my engine is still good? This engine has plastic tensioners so im pretty sure I have to change those on both sides.. and now the chain, im wondering if theres any potential problems with my valves before I go and spend the time and money on the tensioners and chain.. also the 3rd cylinder on the left seems to have unusually high compression.. is this normal? or is that just because I didnt have the guage fully threaded on the other 3?

Engine is ok. The timing did jump so you're going to have to do chains and tensioners. Valves didn't bend or compression would be near zero.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sweet. Thanks again Much appreciated
You bet and thank you also!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need to change the chain or can I get away with just doing the tensioners?
Just tensioners but be sure the chain is on right.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If its skipped how do I know what is right? will there be markings?

Sorry for the delay....

You need the special tool.....

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im going to do both tensioners and chains.. I cant really see the tool in the image but is it in this set?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/LINCOLN-LS-3-9L-V8-TIMING-TOOL-SET-2000-06-DELUXE-KIT-/350313668670?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item519052603e#ht_500wt_922
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
whoops, haha, ya thats the one i meant. thanks again, i might be back when im elbow deep in grease
No problem. Good luck with it.