Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2005 s type: se..time and lost power steering etc..my key

i have a 2005 s type jag 2.7 se, while driving my engine cut out i was turning at the time and lost power steering etc. I could not restart my engine right away and had to remove my key then put it back in ignition to start engine.
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Richard :

After this happened did the engine crank bt not start? Did any warning lights or indicators come on?

JACUSTOMER-672j57vy- :

I did not lose any of the electrics and did not see any warning lights come on, but when i turned the key in the ignition nothing happend at all, i had to remove the key and put it back in then it started ok. In the past i have had a few warning lights come on showing problems (abs fault, parking brake fault, e.t.c.) Also once last week i got in my car turned the key in the ignition and nothing happened at all, i had to get out of the car lock it and open it again, this got rid of that problem.

Richard :

This may be a security problem. Next time this happens look at the security LED on the top of the dash to see if it flashes very fast. Next if this is an auto see if the P is lite up and the shifter will move in neutral.

JACUSTOMER-672j57vy- :

What does it mean if it is one of the suggestions you have put forward, is it something that is likely to keep on happening ? if so is it safe to drive the car or should I go to get it checked out by an auto electrician or is there anything I can do myself. Awaiting your reply, Thanks Steve.

Richard :

If the security light flashes then this is a problem with the key or transponder located around the ignition cylinder. If the P is not lite up and it will not remove from park then this is usually a failure in the CAN network. The CAN is the twisted pair wire network in which all the powertrain and chassis modules "talk" top each other. If a module is offline it will bring down the CAN causing a no crank and those other symptoms.

Richard :

A complete vehicle scan using a Jag service tool will be needed if this is a CAN problem. You can do a quick test with a voltmeter but only when the problem is occuring. You need to ohm pins 6 and 14 at the data link connector and it should read 60 ohms with the igntion off. If it reads higher then there is a problem with the network.

JACUSTOMER-672j57vy- :

Can this be done by any auto electrician or will I have to go to Jaguar

Richard :

If your Jag specialist has an IDS service tool they can do it. You can do the resistance test with a digital voltmeter.

JACUSTOMER-672j57vy- :

Is this a common fault ?