Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

I get into the trunk of my 2000 xj8 to change the battery?thanks

How do I get into the trunk of my 2000 xj8 to change the battery?

the easiest way is to charge the battery by plugging in through the cigarette lighter inside the car.

10 minutes of charge should be enough to pop open the boot.

alternatively if you can can't get into the car, then jack it up so you can gain access to the starter motor and attach the battery charger onto the positive (large cable) of the starter motor and the negative onto the metal of the engine block. This too will charge the battery through this point.

Let me know how you get on
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I wasn't aware you can charge through the cig lighter. Do you have to have a special piece?

most of the time it should come with the battery charger

the fitting looks like this

There should also be a manual key lock for the trunk which I'm presuming you've tried?

(thanks to crzydvr for the extra information)

If this is sticky then WD 40 or similar should help free the lock, then use the correct stuff, (graphite grease ) to lubricate the lock - don't be tempted to leave WD40 in there as it tends to attract dirt and clog the lock and operate the lock manually at times to avoid a repeat