Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2002 x type: Yellow warning engine light..dashboard diagnosed..garage

Yellow warning engine light on dashboard diagnosed as cat converter problem by a garage. My 2002 x type has only 54000 miles on it. What is the chance of an easy fix? Worst case senario expected cost? Is it something that really needs to be fixed?
Many thanks Paul
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

If the codes were P0420 and/or P0430 then it is 99% of the time a faulty converter. Depending on the warranty start date the cat converters can still be covered under the 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warranty. The P0420 is for the bank 1 (rear) cat and P0430 is for bank 2 (front) cat.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Don't know the codes - will have to go back to garage. Not the original owner - does the emissions warranty still apply and how do I claim on that. Do I need to go to a jag dealer garage?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I would need the last six digits of your VIN to see if your vehicle would be covered under the emissions warranty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. The lat 6 VIN digits are C77475
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Your cat converters will be covered until July 14, 2010 or 80,000 miles. If the cat is the problem the dealer will replace it for you under the emissions warranty.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.