Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2002 jaguar x-type: I remove the ignition lock cylinder to replace it

I have a 2002 jaguar x-type and the key will not turn in the ignition. How do I remove the ignition lock cylinder to replace it?

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The usual cause is a stuck key in switch inside the barrel. Remove the key and try lubricating the barrel with a graphite lube and also turn the steering wheel side to side. If it is still stuck then that barrel will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After lubricating the barrell and turning steering wheel side to side it still will not turn, how do I change the barrel?

The barrel is easy to replace but in order to release it from the column you will need to turn it to position 2. Since it will not turn you can remove the steering column covers then pop of the ignition switch. Then you can try to move the end of the barrel then push in the release and pull it out.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi thanks for the help, I was able to change out the barrel and now the new barrel and key will turn but the car will not start, it says security failed. What needs to be done now?
Make sure the small green connector did not come loose of the transceiver around the ignition barrel.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX figured it out about 10 mins ago. The barrel and key came from a used car so i had to take the transmitter from the original remote and put it with the new(used) key
Ok good. Sorry for the delay as I was crazy busy at work.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No problem I do appreciate the direction and help.