Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

how do you change out rotors and brake pads on a 04 xj8 jaguar?

Customer Question

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The front brakes are fairly easy but the rears can be tricky because of the electronic parking brake. To replace the front brakes remove the 12mm caliper bolts and remove the caliper from he anchor. Remove the pads then the 15mm bolts holding the anchor bracket to the knuckle. Sometimes there are clips on the studs holding the rotor that can be cut off. If the rotor is stuck on the hub and you re replacing the rotor you can hit it off with a hammer. On installation you will need a pad spreader or C clamp to push in the front caliper pistons. Also clean and lube the anchor bracket where the pads sit. Install as removed. The rears are the same procedure except that there is a special tool to turn in the brake caliper pistons. Also disconnect the negative battery terminal cable as you will have to reset the electronic parking brake. After the job is completed pump up the brake with the engine running till you have a good pedal. Do this slowly and easy. Then hold you foot on the brake and pull up on the parking brake handle to reset the parking brake motor position.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the special tool needed?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
The tool needed is a rear brake caliper tool which is used to turn in those caliper pistons. You can find this at most major auto parts or tool stores.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok pads are in but the computer tells me there is a parking brake fault. How do I reset this?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal cable as you will have to reset the electronic parking brake. After the job is completed pump up the brake with the engine running till you have a good pedal. Do this slowly and easy. Then hold you foot on the brake and pull up on the parking brake handle to reset the parking brake motor position. You may need to do this procedure more than one time.