Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2002 jaguar x type: 3.0 will not start when hot outside

Customer Question

2002 jaguar x type 3.0 will not start when hot outside. per your site you suspected it was the ECM relay. my question is where is the ECM relay?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The ECM relay is located in the engine compartment fuse box. Click the link. Usually when the relay is bad the engine will not crank. If you could send me the link of the question you are referring to I can tell you if it may be the same problem. It is possible that you have a faulty fuel pump and even a bad battery. When the engine does not start we need to check fuel and ignition. There is a fuel rail test port on the passenger side of the engine under the cover. You can depress the center of it and have an assistant crank the engine to see if there is pressure. Just be carefull when doing this as if fuel is present it will shoot out with some force.

Relay

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Sir,

I fhave this diagram already, which one is the ecm relay, R1, etc?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
The relay is R7. You will notice that the relay pins are larger than normal.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
replacing relay, will inform with results. Also wanted to mention, yesterday when the outside temp cooled, car did start. But I noticed the guages were moving in a sporatic way and the instrument panel was did not illuminate mileage, etc. Dashboard was totally black, but once the outside temp cooled everything returned to normal. Anyway, off to get the relay...........
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
I recommend having your battery tested. Sometimes they crack at the negative post which will also corrode the cable. Even if it is not cracked I recommend having it tested as most parts stores will do this for you at no charge.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Ok sounds good. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sir,

I had the battery checked (ok), changed the all the relays including the ECM, and it still did not start when the temp was high.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Is the engine cranking but not starting or not even cranking?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not even cranking
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Ok when the problem is happening look at the red theft led on the console to see if it is flashing very rapidly. If it is then after one minute it will flash a code. FOr example one flash...pause...three flashes is code 13. If the light is not flashing fast then look at the J gate shifter to see if the P is illuminated and it will release from park.

Edited by Richard on 4/6/2010 at 9:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Ok just let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sir, after work the outside temperature had cooled and the car started. i went home and connected a code reader and received P1638 and P1000. I say again, when the outside temp is cool the car starts but when I go outside at lunch time when the temp is warm 90 degrees,(I am in South Carolina). The car will not start,crank ,turn over, nothing. I heard a clicking noise like the baterry is dead, but Advanced Auto said the battery is good. Please help.......
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
That code is for the CAN communication between the ECM ad the instrument pack. The CAN is a twisted pair network that all the control modules talk to each other on. When the problem is happening we need to look at the shifter and the theft light. If the P is not illuminated on the shifter then this is an indication that the CAN network is down. Also make sure that the inertia switch is not partially trip or disconnected. This switch is located behind the lower kick panel in the passenger side. There is an access hole in the panel so you can feel the top of it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks,

Will do.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Just let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Mr. Richard,

Outside temp has been cooler, car has been starting ok. Supposed to be very warm today, will do as you instructed.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok, here what happened,

temp raised and sure enough car will not start. "P" was lit, but the alarm light was not blinking/flashing, nothing. Inertia switch is fully depressed............

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

temp cooled, car started, i attempted to look at the security led, here is what i noticed:

dash/instrument panel totally black but everytime the security LED would illuminate, guage needles move back and forth sporadically and the instrument panel would illuminate. when the security led stop illuminating the instrument panel stopped illuminating.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Ok you should check all the battery cable connections and the grounds behind both the driver and passenger lower kick panels. Also look under the driver dash just above the brake pedal. Look straight up and you will see the harness running along the back of the dash. On the top of the brake pedal you will see a V shaped piece. Make sure the harness is not contacting this bracket.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hello sir,

batteries connections secure, grounds secure, harness is not touching v shape metal.

also wanted to point out, yesterday when the security led would flash, the dash would illuminate and the guage needles would move sporadically, there was a clicking sound like when the battery is dead. When the security led light did not flash the dash would not illuminate,

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
You maybe having a problem with the instrument pack itself as it is part of the security system as well as communicates with all the other modules. A Jag scan tool will be needed to retrieve any fault codes from it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you suggest i purchase another instrument pack, or should i buy a jag scan tool?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
I would not purchase an instrument pack yet as they are expensive and need to be programmed by the dealer. As far as a jag scan tool I recommend finding a European repair shop in your area and ask them if they have a tool that can communicate with all the modules in your vehicle not just the ECM. This is very important as we need to see what faults are stored in all the control modules.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for everything.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome. Let me know how you make out.