Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Jaguar X-type: the airbag (steering and knee drive side bags..V6

How do I must replace the airbag (steering and knee drive side bags) in my Jaguar X-type 2004 V6 3.0, after a car accident that deployed both driver's airbags?? Can I just unplug the used ones and plug the new bags back
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA, Super mechanic here, about your vehicle.

I have the instructions for both airbags

Here are the basic warnings. You will want to replace any impact sensors that were activated, of course and you will have to have the codes cleared from the controller when you are done.

Safety information

WARNING:

• To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any air bag SRS components. To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait for one minute . Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
  • Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag SRS vehicle and when handling an air bag module. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
  • Carry a live air bag module with the air bag and trim cover pointed away from your body. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
  • Do not set a live air bag module down with the trim cover face down. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
  • After deployment, the air bag surface can contain deposits of sodium hydroxide, a product of the gas generant combustion that is irritating to the skin. Wash your hands with soap and water afterwards. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
  • Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so may result in air bag deployment. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
  • In the event of an incident in which the air bags have been deployed, ALL safety belts that were in use at the time of the incident must be removed and new safety belts must be installed. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
  • After five incidents involving the deployment of SRS components, the restraints control module must be replaced. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
  1. These warnings should be observed whenever working on the SRS and/or it's components.

76.73.39

Driver Air Bag Module

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
NOTE:
  • Repair is made by replacement only. If a part is replaced and the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and carry out the diagnostic procedure again.
  • When installing a new air bag module, a prepaid return postcard is provided with the replacement air bag module. The serial number for the new part and the vehicle identification number (VIN) must be recorded and sent to Jaguar Cars Ltd.
  • Make sure the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

1. Detach the driver air bag module.

1. Disconnect the driver air bag module electrical connector.

1. Remove the driver air bag module.
    • Disconnect the driver air bag module electrical connector.

Installation

1. Connect the driver air bag module electrical connector.
NOTE:
  • Make sure to tighten the retaining bolts to the correct specification.
  • Press the driver air bag module in whilst tightening the retaining screw.

1. Install the driver air bag module.
NOTE: Make sure the driver air bag module snap fit connectors are fully seated.
  1. Connect the battery ground cable.

Notes

Driver Lower Air Bag Module

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
NOTE:

1. Remove the driver lower air bag module retaining screws.

1. Detach the right-hand driver lower air bag module retaining clip.

1. Detach the left-hand driver lower air bag module retaining clip.

1. Remove the driver lower air bag module.
    • Disconnect the driver lower air bag module electrical connector.

Installation

1. Connect the driver lower air bag module electrical connector.
NOTE:

1. Install the driver lower air bag module.
    • Tighten to 11 Nm .
NOTE: Make sure the driver lower air bag module retaining clips are fully seated.
  1. Connect the battery ground cable.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What SRS means?? Where the sensors are located??

It was a direct front impact. Just broXXXXX XXXXXghts and Grille. How many sensors could be compromised??

Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
That would just be the front sensor then. Let me give you the steps for replacing it.

SRS, safety restraint system, sorry.

Crash Sensor

Removal
  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
NOTE: Repair is made by replacement only. If a part is replaced and the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and carry out the diagnostic procedure again.

1. Remove the hood latch bracket retaining bolts.

1. Disconnect the crash sensor electrical connector.

1. Remove the crash sensor.

Installation
Make sure the crash sensor locating tang is correctly located. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury. Never probe the electrical connectors of air bag modules or any other supplemental restraint system (SRS) component. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.

1. Install the crash sensor.
    • Tighten to 12 Nm .

1. Connect the crash sensor electrical connector.

1. Tighten the hood latch bracket retaining bolts.

Part OEM Part Price
Impact Sensor
Front Sensor C2S42264 $259.50

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A sensor that has deployed airbags can be used with the new airbags if not destroyed.
Can I install the new airbags and replace the sensor later on??
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
No, you will have replace the front one
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this the regular change procedure for any airbag system or it is specific for Jaguar's airbags??
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Sorry...the question didn't come up on my list, (maybe because of the age of it) and that is for,

2004 Jaguar X-Type (X400) V6-3.0L

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Did you get all that? Please don't forget to hit the accept button though, that is the only way we get paid, thanks