InfinitiExpert
InfinitiExpert,
30412839

2000 s-type: steering wheel..it makes a loud squeaking noise..gearbox

2000 s-type jaguar. when turning the steering wheel it makes a loud squeaking noise, when turning steering wheel left or right. On the dash, it says there is a gearbox fault. What does that refer to?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  InfinitiExpert replied 6 years ago.
What is making the noise? Is it the steering wheel? Is the noise from the inside or the onside of the car?

One interesting incident I experienced was the appearance of the "gearbox fault" message every time I went round a sharp right hand curve. The problem eventually proved to be a loose connector in a part of the harness that connects to the electronically controlled transmission. I have since heard from several other owners with the "Gearbox Fault" message. It apparently indicates that voltage to the transmission selector mechanism is insufficient.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll check these theories. But I'm skeptical of your answer. What about the steering wheel shaft where it connects? Causing it to bind from pressure on the knuckle thus causing a noise?
I found this bulletin on your noise issue.

Number:10012365TSB Date:February 1, 2006Date Added to File:February 28, 2005Failing Component: Steering:Electric Power Assist SystemSummary: Squeaking noise may be apparent from the power assisted steering system when the steering wheel is rotated in either direction.

The Friction Modifier fluid part # XXXXX XXXXX You get a small bottle of fluid and a little sticker with the part # XXXXX you put on the power steering reservoir so that others know the car has already received the additive.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this friction modifier fluid available at a Auto parts store or is it dealership item?
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
This is a dealer item only. Hope this helps.

Thank you for using justanswer.com