Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

i have a 2001 xj8 with resticted performance problem. my dad

Customer Question

i have a 2001 xj8 with resticted performance problem. my dad replaced a bad coil ,checked wiring... diagnostic test said GROUND DEFAULT. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUE WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Do you have the four digit code number? Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO, DON'T HAVE THE FOUR DIGIT CODE.YES, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Ok we will need the code number. If you are unable to retrive it thre may be a problem with your scan tool. Since the light is on you can go to your local parts store like autozone or pepboys who will scan it for you at no charge. Once you have the code number let me know what it is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
RICHARD. THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. I WILL TRY TO GET THE CODE.BUT I STILL DON'T KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH THE CAR YET ,SO WHEN I GET IT, WHAT DO I DO THEN? WILL I GET YOU AGAIN? DO I HIT ACCEPT AND PAY NOW? DO I HAVE TO PAY AGAIN WHEN I SEND YOU THE CODE? SORRY DON'T KNOW HOW IT WORKS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HOW DO I GET BACK TO YOU RICHARD ,ONCE I GET THE CODE?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Just reply back to this page like you have been doing once you have the codes. This question will stay open til then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. how do i get to the page that has the other responses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey richard. received an email about the 2001 jag restricted performance answer. i am only seeing the last reply from you on getting the code. i have not got the code yet. have there been more answers since march 1,2010? i have not hit accept yet ,but i will waswaiting to see if you could help me futher. after i get the code. called the guy who ddi the testing ,he did not remember the four digit code. i will have to take the car back to him and pay to have him again to try to get acode. our local autozone say they cannot do testing on a jag.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
We need the fault codes to proceed. You did not accept yet and please do not accept until you give me the needed info. Since the check engine light is on all that is needed is a generic OBD II scan tool. Go to your local pepboys or advance auto and they will have a scan tool that will read the codes. The person you talked to at autozone most likely thought you had a newer or older Jag.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. will get back to you asap. the car has to be put back together and possibly hauled to destination. may be next week or so before you hear from me.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Ok no problem. Just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

richard. i have a bunch of codes to report to you. first, just as a reminder, the coil on the #2 cylinder was visibly bad and has been replaced. when the car is started ,all 8 cylinders fire but within seconds goes into restricted performance.

here go all the codes that were spit out today:

p0300

p0301

p0302

p0303

p0304

p0306

p0307

p1316

p0102

p0112

p0117

p0122

p0197

p0222

p0335

p0351

p0354

p0356

p0357

p1104

p1122

p1222

p1367

thanks. i hope you can help me.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Those are alot of dtcs which may have been set while working on the vehicle if the ignition was left on but it looks like the electronic throttle is the problem. I recommend clearing the codes with a scan tool and disconnecting the negative battery to reset the throttle. If the warning comes back on then we need to see which codes returned. If the codes P0122, P0222, P1122 or P1222 then the fault is most likely the throttle assembly.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
richard thank you for the response. not sure if i jumped the gun accepting the answer in case i needed to get back to you with this particular problem. let me know. and thanks again. going to try your suggestions over the weekend. have a good one.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. You can still reply like you have been doing and I will be more than happy to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hey richard. LadyA again. had the codes cleared at two different places. these are the codes that came up this time.

1638

1642

0102

0112

1000

looking at the dtc chart that i have mass air flow sensor ------ intake air air temp------------- controller ares network items came up. my dad called about ordering the mass air flow sensor. do you think that might be the problem? do you think if the mass air sensor is replaced, that would cure the resticted performance?

thanks angie

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Yes the mass air flow sensor can cause that warning to come on. First make sure that there are no problems with the harness/connector at the sensor. Next go to the sensor connector and make sure you have battery voltage with the ignition on on pin 1 (white/blue). Since you have the CAN network codes you should have your battery and charging system checked. Also there is a cable connection on the passenger side rear of the engine compartment on the plastic ECM enclosure. Pull back the rubber boot and make sure that the 13mm nut is tight. If that nut loosens up the cable can arc causing low voltage throughout the vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
richard. thanks for your answer. i will be getting back to you soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hey richard. my dad did the last check you suggested. everything is tight and voltage checks out. took it back and had it read again. these are the codes that came up yesterday. p0102 - p0112--- p0351 --- p0356 --- p0357--- p1367--- p1638----p1642 -- p0354.

we are planning on ordering a mass air sensor. is that the right move? i hate to pay 300.00 dollars for a sensor if its not the problem. we are also over two hours away from a jag dealer. help.................

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I do not think it is a faulty mass air flow sensor if all those codes are stored. The codes P0351, P0354, P0356, and P0357 are for the ignition coils on those cylinders which are grouped and the code P1367 is for that group ignition monitor. The P16xx codes are for the CAN communications. I think the problem may be with the ECM, wire harness or I have seen a jumped secondary timing chain cause this. This will be difficult to diagnose but first clear the codes then just turn the ignition on without starting the engine to see if any faults are stored.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANK YOU RICHARD. GET BACK WITH YOU ASAP.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
RICHARD. I SPOKE WITH MY DAD BRIEFLY . OF COURSE, HE IS TRYING TO SELF EDUCATE HIMSELF ON THE JAGS ,BUT AS YOU KNOW ITS A LOT. HE IS GOING TO CHECK ITEMS YOU JUST MENTIONED AGAIN ,BUT HE THINKS THOSE ITEMS ARE OK. THE CODES WERE CLEARED YESTERDAY. AND THE PREVIOUS CODES CAME UP. IF ITS NOT THE EMC WIRE HARNESS OR JUMPED SECONDARY TIMING CHAIN ..............................IS THERE ANOTHER POSSIBLE CAUSE THAT YOU COULD THINK OF? REMEMBER, WE REPLACED A VISIBLE DAMAGED COIL RECENTLY. COULD IT BE SOMETHING ELSE IN THE IGNITON COILS? WE ARE SO LOST AND FRUSTRATED. SO DO THE CODES HAVE TO CLEARED AGAIN TODAY,SINCE IT WAS DONE YESTERDAY? THANKS .
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
I think it's one of the possibilities I mentioned so we need to investigate further. I recommend you clear all the codes and check the connections to all the coils and air flow sensor. Then see if any codes return with the key on and engine off. You can have a shorted coil bringing down the group of coils.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. WILL DO AND GET BACK WITH YOU RICH.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey rich. haven't had the chance to take car back to have codes cleared yet but will be doing this week. a couple of questions in the mean time, about ignition coils. can you test an igntion coil without special euipment? like a bench test? how do you do it for sure? also , the igntion coil that my dad replaced was bad in #2 cylinder.he put the new ignition coil in the #1 cylinder . in other words. new coil in #1 - and the one from#1 in the number #2. before the change of coils, codes were reading #2 with problems,now codes are referring to #1 with problems. any comments on this? is there a chancr that that new coil is actually bad??????????
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. me again. going to have my dad check connections to coils and air flow sensor. how do you check the air flow sensor to seeif it is bad?????
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Checking the coils and mass air flow sensor will be difficult without the Jag scan tool or a service tool that has Jag software which is very hard to find. What you can do is go to the green/white wire (pin 3) of the mass air flow and check the voltage with the engine at idle. It should be about 1.2 volts and increase while you rev the engine or while driving.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can someone other than jag check it if they have the scan tool. as long as it picks up jag codes? we have a couple of local guys that have been reading the codes for us. we are two hours away from jag dealer. their tools seem to be picking up the codes. those are the ones i've been sending you.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Most generic scan tools can read and clear codes but not read live data. Do the test with the meter on the green/white and you should have about 1.2 volts at idle and it will increase voltage while driving.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey rich. my dad replaced the "new" coil,which was bad and the car is firing on all 8 cylinders, but the red light is still on. i bought a code reader and it is not showing any codes but the red light is still on. will the light go out if you drive for a mile or so? we are afraid to drive it with the red light on.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Hey man how's it going? Do you have any messages? Is this the red led over the message center? Can you upload a pic to this post using the three icon?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

rich. didn't understand your response?????????? ok. here's an update. resticted performance problem..... the new coil we bought was apparently bad. bought another one. car fired up and all 8 cylinders fired and stayed fired. the restricted performance light went out but red light still on. after the coil was replaced and fired, an engine coolant message came on the dash . the hand held code reader isn't showing any codes. (at the moment) i ordered an engine coolant sensor (pick it up today) how do we get the red light out? should we replace engine coolant sensor then read codes and see what it says? can we drive the car to see if the red light goes out or what?

thanks rich. hope to hear from you today.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
If the dash read engine coolant low this will also turn on the small red warning. The usual problem is a stuck float in the coolant reservoir.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i already sent this message, forgive me. i ordered a coolant level switch. do you think this is neede? also, how do you fix the stuck float in reservoir?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
The float is part of that reservoir. You can try to replace the sensor but the problem is usually the float.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well how do you fix the float? do i have to order a float or what? can the car be driven with the red light on ? what should we do from this point?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NEED MORE INFO?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

RICHARD. SORRY , BUT WONDERING IF YOU GOT MY LAST QUESTIONS.

HOW DO MYOU FIX THE STUCK FLOAT PROBLEM. IS THERE A PART I NEED TO GET TO FIX IT OR CAN IT JUST BE "UNSTUCK"? ALSO, DO YOU THINK I NEED THE COOLANT LEVEL SWITCH? I AM PICKING IT UP TODAY. AND CAN THE CAR BE DRIVEN RIGHT NOW WITH THE RED LIGHT ON ? SHOULD WE TRY THE STUCK FLOAT ISSUE BEFORE DRIVING?????

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
The float is part of the bottle which will need to be replaced. It still can be the sensor but the bottle is more common. It can be driven just make sure that the engine temp is in the normal range.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANKS RICH. ONE MORE THING TODAY. WHAT WOULD I ASK FOR AT THE PARTS STORE? FLOAT FOR ?????????????????????
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
The bottle is a dealer only item. If a dealer is not close to you I recommend coventrywest.com, jagbits.com, jaguarpartscenter.com, motorcarsltd.com, britishparts.com, welshent.com, or jaggraveyard.com as they all specialize in discounted Jag parts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you richard. heres the update. my jag is back on the road and running great. we found the problem was the new coil we bought was bad. my dad bought another one and it fired up on all 8. the engine coolant sensor had also fallen out of place. thanks for your help. i will be in touch. my dad is currently trying to reach Welch to discuss the bad coil they sent us.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. Let me know if you need any more assistance.