Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Jaguar xj8: wont start..starter..I turn the ignition key,there

my jaguar xj8 suddenly won't start. At first I thought it might be a starter problem, however, a mechanic with 'some' foreign car experience discarded that theory because he could tell the starter was definitely turning over. When I turn the ignition key,there is no ignition. When this all happened, the engine turned over (weakly), then the starter would turn, but nothing would happen. The AAA tow truck operator seemed to think it might be the timing chain. I'm wondering what else it might be? Also, if you think it may be the timing chain, what would it cost to repair and can I reduce cost by buying parts myself?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

First you should have the battery tested as a weak battery can be causing this. If the battery is fully charged and the problem is still happening the engine may just be flooded. Try holding your foot on the gas and crank the engine. Do this with a jumper box installed on the battery as this will wear down the battery quickly. Also do this 20 seconds at a time taking a minute break to cool down the stater. When that happens and the engine still will not start when holding your foot on the gas then the spark plugs will need to be removed to clean or replace them. Once removed squirt a few drops of oil down into the cylinders to build back compression. If the clear flood does not work we will need to check for fuel pressure, spark and compression.