ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience with diagnosis and repair on Jaguars.
907259

2004 S-TYPE: OIL DO I NEED AND DOES THE PLUG NEED TO BE CHANGED

HOW TO CHANGE THE OIL ON A 2004 S-TYPE, I CHANGE THE OIL ON MY OTHER CARS. IS THIS A BIG DEAL ON A JAG. WHAT KIND OF OIL DO I NEED AND DOES THE PLUG NEED TO BE CHANGED OUT. 60,000 MILES AND HAS ALLWAYS BEEN SERVICED A DEALER
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, do you have the 6 or 8 cylinder engine in your Jaguar?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SORRY ITS A 6 CYL
OK, no problem..
Here is the capacity and specificationsn of the oil:

Engine Oil

Engine Oil Capacity: 6.5 liters (6.9 quarts)

Fluid Specification API SL and ILSAC GF-3
SAE Viscosity Rating:
For climates ranging from -30°C (-22°F) and +50°C (+122°F), the following oil viscosities may be used:
0W-30 / 5W-30 (preferred)
0W-40 / 5W-40

Caution: The use of supplementary oil or fuel additives is not approved unless specified by Jaguar Cars in the form of a service communication or directive.

Now that you have the right oil...
Get a drain pan and get under the car (of course you will have to get it up n the air)..
graphic
Thje drain plug should be the piece that is between #'s 4 and 5 in the diagram above.. Take it out and drain the oil out of the pan, and rep[lace the plug when it is done draining. IT is torqued to 18 ft'lb, and YES it is very important to properly torque this bolt, and use a new plastic 'washer' if it has one on it, and it looks smashed or damaged in any way. Then the filter is easy enough.. just be sure to have a drain under it also, because it does hold some oil and it will drain out when you loosen it. It just spins off and then back on.. and you will need an oil filter wrench. Tighten it up by hand and then put the oil filter wrench on it, and give it another 1/4 turn, and then you can fill it up with oil (don't forget this part!) you would be absolutely AMAZED at how many people actually do forget to put oil back in their cars after an oil change.. As you can imagine that is an expensive mistake.Surprised

Hope it helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does the oil filter need to be filled with oil before installing and not shure what API SLSAC GF-3 means i like castroil do i need a synthetic blend or what.
As long as the oil has the API starburst seal or the round one.. IT will have the lettersSL or higher..
S means gasoline engine, and then the rating is actually the second letter.. A being the lowest (mineral oil).. and Z being the best (of course is it not up that high yet and probably never will be). SO as long as that second letter is atleast an L or 'higher', you have good oil for your engine.

As far as filling the filter.. yes it is good to do, but not actually necessary. The only thing that is REALLY necessary is to put some oil on the oring on the top of the filter so it doesn't 'fold up' wen you go to tighten the filter.
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: Over 15 years of experience with diagnosis and repair on Jaguars.