Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

I am trying replace a fuel pump on a 2001 Jaguar XK8 convertible.

I am trying replace a fuel pump on a 2001 Jaguar XK8 convertible. I am having trouble locating the fuel lines going to the bottom center of the fuel tank. Looking under the car, I can follow the fuel lines from the fuel filter going towards and above the center rear end/axile. However, there is a aluminum heat shield above the rear end and the two fuel lines go above the aluminum. This shield is form fitted and bolted to the bottom of the car frame. It can be bent but not removed. There is no access from the rear set bench? Help!

I'm not completely sure what you are having trouble with, but look at these instructions step by step and see if they help you at all, this is the entire removal procedure just click here and here. If I understand you I think you have not lowered the tank yet enough to get to those hoses.

let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,

Edited by Bob on 10/21/2009 at 8:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bob, I am using the same info you have provided. The tank is located in the trunk and not under the car. After all the lines are removed, it should slide out sideways towards the rear bumper. It moves slightly, but I can't get to the fuel lines shown in the last picture you provided which go to the bottom of the tank. Due to the aluminum shield under the car above the rear end the speedy fitting are not visible. Thanks
Ok well i will opt out and let another expert in that is more familiar with this problem.

thank you

Hello and welcome to

Maybe I can help as I have done this job many times. There will be no need to remove or bend that cover. The lines are exposed over the diff. What will help is if you lower the rear subframe you will be able to slide the quick disconnect tool on the line. To lower the rear suspension remove the front bolt and bracket and the 15mm through bolt holding the rear X brace to the body. You will need to support the assembly while doing this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Richard, sounds good. I looked above the center differential with a mirror and I can see the two bent fuel lines. I have the Technical Service Publication (JTIS). I am not sure how to lower the subframe. When you say rear X brace are you referring to the "A" frame under the diff. Please let me know. Thanks.
The X brace will be to the rear of the diff (rear bumper side. There are two 15mm bolts that hold the top of that brace to the body. If you remove those as well as the front bolts/plates it will drop slightly. The shock top mount will hold it but you should still support the frame assembly. The lines are still not easy. I spray some WD40 on the line and the disconnect tool. Slide the disconnect tool on there then with a long pry bar push it in, push the line in then pull down. Do not get frustrated if the line is stubborn. If you bend that line it will only make the job 10 times harder.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Richard, I appreciate your assistance. The fuel tanks is out. I replaced the fuel pump. The old one does not work when bench tested (a very good sign). Sealed up the fuel tank and will place the tank into the trunk after lunch. Thanks again, Frank.
Your very welcome. Thanks for using