Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

How do I set the timing on a 2000 Jaguar XJ8?

Customer Question

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

There are special tool to set/lock the flywheel and the front of the cams in order to replace the timing components. There is another tool to turn the VVT retard during reinstalling. If you do not have access to the tools I do not recommend that you try this job. I have redone many timing jobs that come from shops who do not have the tool.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Maybe I didn't word my question correctly. I need the timing specs for the car. A diagram would help.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
What do you mean by timing specs. The engine does not have adjustable timing and there are no marks. The crank is set by inserting the tool through the crank sensor opening and into the rounded reluctor on the flywheel. Then the cams are ocked down by the flats on the front of each cam.