Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2003 Jaguar x-Type: door manually..fine), but it does not unlock

I just bought a 2003 Jaguar x-Type and the remote control key is not working. I used to open the door manually, but somehow now it's not working. I can lock the doors (I can hear the electric lock working fine), but it does not unlock. I am stuck and I cannot use the car. What can I do to unlock the door?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Will any door unlock when pressing the unlock button on the remote? You have to press the unlock button twice for the passenger doors to open? The doors do not unlock with the key cylinder in the driver door?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I bought the car from the dealer, the remote did not work so for two weeks I've been opening the door manually, with the cilinder key. Now when I try to use it, it turns to the right (to lock) and it goes full turn, but it only goes half to the left (front of the car) toward unlocking the door but it stops there and it on't open. I know you have to turn it twice to open the passenger seats, but I would be happy to be able to turn it once to unlock the driver's seat and then I can try to reprogram the key.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
You most likely have a problem with the lock cylinder or with the key itself. If there is a burr or a dead spot on the key blade it will cause this. You can try spraying some lube inside the lock cylinder to see if t frees it up. If not you can go to the dealer and have them cut you a new key. The key will need to be programmed to start the vehicle but it will unlock the doors.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought the car "as is" from this dealer and they don't have any other keys and I was told they cannot make me another one. There is a mechanic shop for Jaguars in Charleston (two hours drive) but how can I get my car there if I cannot get in? I will try to spray some lube inside the lock (will T-40 due the job?) and hopefully it will unlock, If not, what are my options? We have a mobile mechanic in the region I can call, but will they be able to unlock the door without breaking the window?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
What usually works is using a wedge going between the body and the door then taking a long hook or coat hanger and moving the lock knob on the handle. A Jag dealer would be the only ones to cut you a key and they can do this with your VIN number to get the key code.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you mean I can take the paperwork (the VIN number) with me in Charleston (get my wife's car to get there) and they can cut me a new key, get back home with the new key and be able to get in my Jag? Do you know how much do they usually charge for a new key? Can I go just to any other Jaguar dealer in the region and they would be able to fix me a new key?