Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

2002 Jaguar X-type: I put new batteries in the remotes and now they

How do I program the remote for my 2002 Jaguar X-type. I put new batteries in the remotes and now they won't work. They are the correct batteries, they have juice in them, I checked by putting them into something else that uses same battery. Neither remote makes the car respond. What do I do, I don't want to go to a Jaguar dealer, I truly can't afford it. This car was very cheap, but I think they were made for rich people. Please help me with step by step instructions. Thank you
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welocme to justanswer.com

You may have a problem with the remote itself. First try this manual programming method.

Open driver's door.

2.Turn the ignition switch to the "auxiliary" position, then turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position and back to the "auxiliary" position four times.

Note :A chime from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) will indicate programming status has been enabled.

3.Turn the ignition switch to "OFF" position.

4.Remove the key from the ignition switch.

5.To program the transmitter, press any key within 10 seconds.

Note :If the remote transmitter has been accepted, the GEM will make a chime.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Richard, I tried this with both of my remotes several times and nothing. The car chime only keeps dinging because the driver's door is open. What else can I try?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there something else I can try to get my two remotes to work ?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
You need to try that programming again as it sometimes can be a pain getting into programming mode. Cycle the key quickly from position 1 to position 2.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OMG, the one remote took but the other one didn't! Any other tricks I can try to get it working to? I swear to you they both worked before, this is crazy. Don't ever by a Jaguar, I got this car for super cheap from a couple with only 47k on it but the closest dealer is over 150 miles away. If I would have only known! Please give me a trick to do or something. What if I disconnect the battery from the car and start over?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

should I disconnect the battery?

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
You can try that but if you got one remote to program I would say you have a problem with that other remote or possibly a bad connection on the battery and circuit board in that remote.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much Richard! You have been more help to me in the past few hours than everyone I've talked to this past week. I will hopefully get the other one to work, if not, I at least have one to use without having to use the key. Your awesome! I will recommend you to everyone and hopefully be able to talk to you again for future issues with this "rich person's car, lol.. God bless!! and thank you again. ps. I thought this site was a scam, so please don't take my skepticism personal! :)
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Your very welcome and I am glad I was able to help. If you have any other problems with your X Type come back to this site as I will be more than happy to help.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.