Jagmaster
Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  10 year Jaguar master technician land rover master and Aston martin certified

How do I replace the fuel pump on my 98 XJ8 My JTIS does

How do I replace the fuel pump on my '98 XJ8? My JTIS does not provide enough info. I have everything disconnected from the part of the fuel tank except for the vapor pipe quick connector, which I have not been able top disconnect. I can't see exactly where the pressure and return lines connect to the tank; how do I get to them? If I need special tools, where do I get them?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Jagmaster replied 5 years ago.
You need to look above the rear diff to disconnect the fuel lines. It can be very difficult to disconnect and see. Once those are loose everything will carefully pull out. Be patient and dont force anything and you should be okay. You might need a lift to reach the lines under the car. It really tight down there. I hope this helped and I hope you accept my answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I saw the area you mentioned, but didn't see the actual connections; I'll look again in afew minutes. What about the vapor connector next to the tank on the left side?
Expert:  Jagmaster replied 5 years ago.
That requires a special tool. I have managed to disconnect it with a small pick but it can be hard. Just go slow and you'll get it disconnected. Good luck you will get it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is my goal here? It looks like I need to pinch both sides of the flexible white barbed piece, but when I do, it doesn't seem to move enough to release anything. Does the white inner clip stay on the tube that goes to the vapor cannisters, or does it stay attached to the large female end of the "L"-shaped hose that goes to the tube on top of the tank? Also, there appears to be some kind of band within the enclosure that keeps tension on the white barbed piece; what is its function. In addition, is there a flange on the lower tube? If I use a pick, what do I pry against to release the connector?
Expert:  Jagmaster replied 5 years ago.
The connecoter has a prssure clip and the hose has a raised bump in it. When they are pushed together it's a snap for. The special tool releases the clip while you pull the hose out. We often let custers borrow tools from the dealer with deposit. It would be worth asking. I have also heard of people using the fuel line release tools that ate cheap at any parts tore. I haven't done that so I can't say for sure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can barely touch the fuel lines going into the tank, much less remove them. Do I need to drop the differential/rear suspension assembly to get at the fuel connections?
Expert:  Jagmaster replied 5 years ago.
No, you don't have to lower the suspension. It is hard to do even with car on a lift. It's one of those crappy jobs that most people have someone else do it because it's such a pain. I have long arms and struggle with it. You're just going to have tough it out. It's not easy nor fun.
Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 10 year Jaguar master technician land rover master and Aston martin certified