Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2000 Jaguar S-type: car shakes..35-40 mph..incline..engine light came

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 2000 Jaguar S-type. The car shakes at idle and at 35-40 mph at an incline. The chek engine light came on. Took it to an independent. They replaced the spark plugs first. Did not help. Checked the fuel injector found nothing wrong with it. Changes one of the coils. The car ran fine for 10 minutes and the problem started again. Afterwards computer indicated a problem with another cylinder. The mechanic told me that they have no idea what to do with it. Any advice?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Do you remember the fault codes? Is this a V6 or V8 engine?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They told me they were misfire codes on cylinders 1 and 5. They after they changed the coils, it started to show misfire on 4. It's a V6.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Ok. Usually when one coil fails the others are not too far behind especially ones on the same bank where 4-6 are the ones on the driver side. You should also replace that coil. You also need to listen for a vacuum leak. Start the engine and let it idle while listening for a hissing noise in the back of the engine. If you hear this noise then most likely the lower breather elbow is collapsed and leaking. The breather is not easily replaced as both the upper and lower intake manifolds will need to be replaced.

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome. Thanks for the accept and for using justanswer.com.