Jagmanuk
Jagmanuk, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Jaguar Master Technician 10 yrs experience

1998 Jaguar XJ8: Low Engine Coolant -- indicator comes..sensor located

1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Low Engine Coolant -- indicator comes on and off while driving. Were is this sensor located if I were to replace it?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Jagmanuk replied 5 years ago.
hi there

i remember a tech bulletin on this issue. - i will attempt to paste it below :

z DATE
1 0 / 9 7 3 0 3 - 1 4
SERVICE TECHNICAL BULLETIN
LOW COOLANT LEVEL
&
COOLANT WARNING LAMP ILLUMINATED
MODEL XK8
YEAR 1997 MY ON
VIN 001036 ON
MODEL V8 XJ SERIES
YEAR 1998 MY ON
VIN 812256 ON
5. Before stopping the engine, check that the coolant warning lamp is ‘off’.
B. COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR - FLOAT STICKING
1. Should the coolant warning lamp remain ‘on’ after the above procedure, stop the engine but
return the ignition switch to the ‘run’ position. Check for the possibility of the captive float, at the right
hand rear corner of the coolant reservoir, having become stuck in its lowest position.
The float is captive on a tube, which houses the level sensor, attached to the bottom of the
coolant reservoir.
2. Using a suitable light to illuminate the interior of the reservoir, and using a long probe,
carefully check that the float is free to move.
3. If the float is stuck, or does not move freely, fit a replacement reservoir.
Procedures ‘A’ and ‘B’ above should always be undertaken before consideration is given to replacing the
level sensor or complete reservoir.
Should the warning lamp remain ‘on’ with the reservoir full of coolant and after checking that the float is
free to move, proceed with normal diagnosis for an electrical fault in the warning lamp circuitry.

If this does not sort it - then im afraid you will have to get a new sensor or expansion bottle. - im not sure if you can get the sensor seperate any more.

Hope this helps

kind regards

Jagmanuk, Jaguar Technician
Experience: Jaguar Master Technician 10 yrs experience