Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

jaguar x type fault code p 1646 acording to auto data upstream

Customer Question

jaguar x type fault code p 1646 acording to auto data upstream oxygen sensor fault .have replaced both fault persists . black plugs on sensor leads i am bemusedas to why the fault code persists it keeps repeating p1646.please help.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

You need to check the front sensor on the rear exhaust manifold. That is bank 1 sensor 1 which is what you have the code for. Also inspect that harness where it comes up and hooks next to the purge valve. I have seen the harnesses rub against the valve bracket and short out.

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Richard. have checked wiring visualy. no chafing. have run engine ,vigouresly moving loom wires,fault did not show. Switch of engine,re start eng man light on after 7 seconds ..... every time. so first run ok subsequant run, fault apears.where do i look next.

regards Tom

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hey Tom.

Thanks for the accept. The light comes on when you restart the engine because the ECM needs to detect the fault on 2 trips to turn on the light. I just re-read your post and the sensor you need to look at and most likely replace is the front sensor on the rear exhaust manifold with the grey connector. You shold make sure that you have battery voltage at the white/green wire.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i need to check something. the gray plug , unpluged gives me a different code than p1646
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Ok

The code P1646 is for bank 1 sensor 1 which is the front sensor in the rear exhaust. It should be the one with the grey connector.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX.I have replaced the sensor you described ,cleared the code a . job well done. Many thanks .Tom

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Thats good news. Thanks for the accept and for using justanswer.com.