Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

I have a 2000 Jaguar XJ8. All of a sudden there is no sound

I have a 2000 Jaguar XJ8. All of a sudden there is no sound from the radio. All the stations, buttons, volume contral etc. work fine but...no sound! Help!
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

You should first check the fuses for the amp and radio. The fuses are #9 (10 amp) in the driver side heelboard fuse box and fuse #12 (5 amp) in the passenger heelboard fuse box. The heelboard boxes are located in between the rear seat bottom cushion and the floor. The carpet cover needs to be poped off and you will see the fuses boxes on the driver and passenegr sides. You also need to check fuse #12 (30 amp) in the trunk fuse box.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately it didn't work. I checked all three fuses and they looked fine, but to be sure I put in new ones, and nothing fixed the problem.

The radio turns on, the stations change as usual, the volume increase readout looks as always, the antenna goes up -- but the speakers don't work -- no sound at all.

What else could cause such an abrupt loss of sound? Oddly, it happened yesterday after I had 4 new tires put on a new rear brakes, but that can't affect sound can it?

Any other ideas? I'd love to authorize payment but so far, no cigar.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Ok

If you have premium sound then all the speakers are powered by the amplifier. Check to make sure the amp is connected. It's located above the cd changer. If you do not have an amp then I suspect a problem with the radio.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Richard/ I hope we're getting closer. I do have the premium Alpine system, but don't see any wiring or clips by the CD changer. All I see are the CD changer and above it, the navigation system. But neither of them seems to be accessible or able to be pulled out to look behind, and the manuals don't show anything for back there.

Any guidance on where the am should be relative to the navigation system or the CD changer? All
ican see that pulls out is the CD cassette.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Ok

The amp is on that stack with the CD and the NAV module in the left side of the trunk. You will need to remove that side carpet cover and you will see the amp. Make sure that the two white connectors, the black connector and the data cable is connected. Then go to the 12 pin white connector and check for power at the brown/red wires (pins 3 and 9) and check for ground at the black wires (pins 2, 8, 11, and 12). You may have to remove the amp from the stack to do this. The fuse for the amp is fuse #12 (30 amp) in the trunk.

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience: 12 years at a Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.