Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Ten years co.habiting.....what rights have I....he ownes the

Customer Question

Ten years co.habiting.....what rights have I....he ownes the property....
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Republic of lreland. Co..clare.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No...not. anything that I am aware of...he said it was my home..no one would ever disturb me....jus took a tantrum...a decides. I am. In the way...now...out...not entitlled to anything...even though I being very supported to him...phyical a financial...ran the home...no kids.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Should I not be entitle to a written notice...or help me find a ace to live.. help pay rent maybe. Until my own house is free...as I have a lease on it....
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 months ago.

1. You are entitled to "reasonable notice" from your cohabiting partner before you have to leave the house. This is a minimum of two months notice. However, the law does not automatically give cohabiting partners rights to the other person's property just because they might have been sharing the same house. If you wish to claim a share in their house, you need to go to court under the 2010 Civil Partnership & Rights of Cohabitants Act and seek to claim a share. However, if you have a house of your own, a court is unlikely to grant you a share in your former partner's house. Normally, in making orders under this Act, the court only looks are payments towards the purchase of the house or else direct mortgage payments. Having kept the house, or being supportive does not give any entitlement to a share.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.