Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Zostałam stopped by garde without important charges in the

Customer Question

good evening .zostałam stopped by garde without important charges in the car no nct, tax, insurance, and for that I have no valid driving license. I'm scared consequences. I do not know what to do next, and I fear that they will go to jail. PLEASE there any information about what consequences await me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: irleand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: my car was take by garda and I have 10 days to go to the Garda station and show my driving licence but in home I
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the car was taken away I got 10 days to bring a driver's license because I had not stopped at the document. but the validity of my license has expired and I do not know now what I do and what consequences await me
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the car was taken away I got 10 days to bring a driver's license because I had not stopped at the document. but the validity of my license has expired and I do not know now what I do and what consequences await me.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
stopped by garde without valid charges in a car without NCT, taxes, insurance, and for that I do not have a valid driving license. I'm afraid of the consequences. I do not know what to do next, and I fear that they will go to jail. PLEASE any information about what the consequences awaitme 13 November 2016 10:31
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the car was taken away I got 10 days to bring a driver's license because I not have driving licence with me . but the validity of my license has expired and I do not know now what I do and what consequences await me.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 months ago.

1. At the outset you need to realise that you can have your car taken from you because you have no insurance. Accordingly, as you have no insurance, you won't be able to get your car back. However, if this is your first offence on the other charges, you will get a heavy fine on each charge. You will not go to jail. The fine for no insurance will be approximately 2,500-3,000 euro. The fine for no NCT will be about 400 euro. The fine for having no road tax will be about 400 euro. However, there will be no sentence of imprisonment. However, the judge will threaten you with more serious penalty if you re-offend. Be aware that you will also be charged with driving without a driver's licence. Here the fine will be approximately 800-1,000 euro.

2. At this stage, you should simply speak with the Garda and show him your out of date driver's licence. Explain the situation, as if you don't, you remain liable to be arrested for not attending at the Garda station to produce your licence. So, go along and deal with the matter as otherwise you will only get yourself in even more trouble. There is no jail for driving without tax, insurance, NCT and driver's licence. You will simply be summonsed to court to answer to the charges.

3. Please Accept and Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not get paid by the website for answering your question.