How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10356
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a six year ban for drink driving in Cork and in. I

Customer Question

I got a six year ban for drink driving in Cork and in Dublin. I attended both court cases and was in St Patricks hospital during the time my first case was called in May 2014. I am have not had a drink now since February 2014. What are my chances of getting my back with the next year .
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: This is in Ireland and law are the same in each county
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean? I have received my ban . I have not filed to get it back
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I just want to know if I can file for my licence now after 2 and a half years of my 6 yr ban. Nobody was injured and I had no crashes.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 months ago.

1. Hello, yes, you may make an application for the return of your driving licence as you have served the mandatory two year bank. So long as the sentences are expressly not stated to be consecutive, you can make an application for return of your driving licence. The only mandatory ban period is a two year period. So after two and a half years served on the ban, you can apply for your licence back. I would advise you to get yourself a good Road Traffic solicitor who is experienced in these matters and make the application to the District Court.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 months ago.

2. Please Rate and Accept the Answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.