Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My son had decided to take a year out of college as the

Customer Question

My son had decided to take a year out of college as the course does not suit him. I am currently in receipt of maintenance €50 per week. Should I notify his father to stop paying as he has asked about his current situation. He will return to college is Sept 17. He is 20 years old.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Sorry. I am in Ireland.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I don't think so.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 months ago.

1. Yes, you should notify his father that he does not have to pay maintenance for this coming year. However, you should also point out to the father that the obligation to pay maintenance will resume in September 2017, as his son is returning to college. So long as your son continues in college his father has an obligation to pay maintenance. Normally, when the son is over 18, the maintenance would get paid directly to the child as the child is now an adult. So, you should get your son to arrange this with his father. Be aware that it is 14% of the net after tax income of the father which should be paid in maintenance to his son.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.