EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

How can I find out if my husband who I am legally separated

Customer Question

How can I find out if my husband who I am legally separated from since 2004, is a bigamist or has he applied for a divorce without serving me with papers. He remarried in 2014. He had no address for me which was a ruling of the court but he has my mother's address if he needed to contact me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. I am sorry for your situation. The problem here is that although Section 7 of the Civil Registration Act 2004 provides for a general register of divorce decrees, this has not been commenced (in fact some members of the Irish Parliament asked about it and the government said it will not commence it any time soon due to lack of funds). So your only option, sadly, would be to write to the Circuit Court directly (no special form provided), stating the following:

-> your name and other particulars;

-> the fact that you have been legally separated and your interest in the matter, on the basis that a case may have taken place without your knowledge;

-> request to be informed of any case to which you were a party.

You can start with the Circuit Court where your husband lives, because that is most likely the court which would have had jurisdiction, had he claimed he does not know your address. There are in total 8 Circuit Courts in Ireland, so a maximum of 8 letters would be required. However, you could first try to approach the Circuit Court office closest to you, who may be able to receive your application for a search in all records of all Circuit Courts: http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/WebCObyJurisdiction?Openview&l=en. For recent divorces, they may also have direct access to an internal electronic database of names and orders made. As a party (even an unknowing one) to a civil trial, you have a right to view all the records in the case file.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad