Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I started a limited company in March of this year and we

Customer Question

I started a limited company in March of this year and we went and got 3 business bill pay phones from Three. After some time we had stopped paying the bill due to company inactivity and now the bill stands at 572.34. I received a letter 2 weeks ago from a debt collector addressed to me personally to say that if payment was not made within 7 days they would get their solicitor to issue proceedings.
Now today I have received a letter from their solicitor to say that they have drafted their claim and that if payment is not received within 7 days they will lodge the claim with the district court. It says that I personally am the first respondent even though I did not sign as guarantor on behalf of the company.
There is no mention of our company name in either correspondence.
Am I personally legally liable for this debt?
Any suggestions?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with.

How long after taking the contracts out did you stop making payments? Also, had you advised the service provider that you wished to cease making payment?

Can I also just check, are you in the UK?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ben, thanks for the reply, we are in the Republic of Ireland, we stopped making payments after the second payment/month.Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have not informed them that we wished to stop making payments, nor have we responded in any way

Hi Shane. Thank you for letting me know. As I am UK based lawyer, I will need to opt out so that another expert can assist you. Many thanks