Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

If I hold a day to day management position in a school and a

Customer Question

If I hold a day to day management position in a school and a recently formed steering committee formed to progress an amalgamation with the local girls school,can I take out an injunction in an individual capacity if a decision reached by the committee is one which raises conscientious objection matter for me.
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Our all boys school in amalgamating is hearing suggestion that our middle and senior boys will initially be taught in single gender classes.In context of Irish Law and assuming the individual schools Boards of Management have statutory functions ,not the Amalgamation steering committee ,I am wondering would an injunction have any place in the matter.Thank you.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Thank you for your speedy reply. Also very pertinent to what I discussed with some of my own senior staff of the boys school today.No agreed report to staff or for that matter to the respective BOMs issued from the most recent(2nd of two so far)steering committee.I raised that point at that second meeting on July 11th,re the commitment to report back to relevant parties in the school community.The Chairperson of the Steering Committee,The Parish Priest,Who sits on both BOMs ,boys school and convent school,as a member,said there was nothing to report.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: As Principal of the boys school,the smaller of the two schools I am briefed on views and concerns of senior staff in school,conscious that I am bound by Chairperson of Steering Committee to Confidentiality re Steering Committee matters.At last meeting in July,Chair of Steering Committee took back the page with items on it unannounced at end of meeting.A week ago today when he called to the school,my first time seeing him since last SC meeting I said I would like to see that sheet again as I hadn't noted items on it .At this point I am wondering is a Steering Committee just an advisory group(though I know Chair of SC is doing all contact with the Department of Education) and each school.BOM the Statutory Body.I recognise that the Patron(represented by the Parish Priest)is ultimate authority of the school but gender issues re mixed classes I believe may fall under ambit of the laws of the land.Thank you again
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 months ago.

1. Would you be kind enough to tell me what you want to achieve in this situation? Do you want to prevent the amalgamation? Be aware that the law does not enter into matters of "conscientious objections". There must be some legal basis for an injunction.