Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

Can a person reclaim insurance premium if convicted of a

Customer Question

Good morning can a person reclaim insurance premium if convicted of a drink driving conviction ? thanks for your help in advance .
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: insurance premium is due in july conviction may not start until september
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 months ago.

1. Here, what you need to do is to merely pay for two months insurance, whether by agreement with the insurance company or by arranging payment, month by month and then stop paying in September. However, if you are renewing your policy it is imperative that you declare the fact you have a conviction. Otherwise the insurance policy is void, because it is a contract of good faith and non disclosure allows the insurance company to void the policy. However, what you should not do here is pay for a year as the insurance company will not refund the monies you have paid for the rest of the year, when you won't be driving. Seek to enter into a two month policy rather than a year long policy. Ultimately, you won't be able to reclaim the rest of the insurance payments from the rest of the year if you pay for a year.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for you advice i just hope my insurance company will agree to this .
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 months ago.

3. I would advise you to speak to an insurance broker and not deal directly with the insurance company yourself. A broker iwll have a better idea which insurance company will agree to this and where you might go to get a deal of this nature. My own guess is that you will have no chance on your own dealing directly with an insurance company.