Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I had a dog sitter who over charged me. This was a person I

Customer Question

I had a dog sitter who over charged me for services. This was a person I found through an add online. I paid them 100 I did pay late but paid. And now they are saying I owe them 200 immediately or they are taking me to collections and having me criminally charged. I really don't care about the collections aspect but can they actually charge me?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 5 months ago.

The very first thing to note is that they cannot have you criminally charged. This is a civil matter

Secondly, there appears to be no contractual basis for charging you an additional €200 and the claim is without foundation.

Thirdly, In order to be able to pursue it with a collection agency. They would first have to successfully take proceedings against you through the Courts. As advised I do not believe they could have a successful claim against you unless there was some provision for such a payment in your original agreement

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Ronan replied 5 months ago.

Please rate question to finalise