Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My Aunt died in Southern Ireland some 9 years ago. My Sister

Customer Question

My Aunt died in Southern Ireland some 9 years ago. My Sister & I have been trying to trace exactly what happened to her personal possessions.
We know that a will was made many years ago, also whom we think the beneficiaries should have been. At the time her Husband wasn't coping very well, so he requested people who were not related to her, to deal with her estate.
We found we were hitting a brick wall when we ask questions of the people who dealt with our Aunts business. How can we find out where her will would have been lodged, or witnessed?
if it were a possibility to trace, how much would the fee be?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 months ago.

1. Dear Customer, the first thing you need to do here is to carry out a search in the Probate Office in Dublin to see if probate was taken out in relation to your aunt's estate. This is because in order to have lawful authority to deal with your late aunt's affairs, a grant of probate would have to be extraced to give legal authority to dealing with her estate.

2. The address of the Principal Probate office in Ireland is 1st Floor, 15/24 Phoenix Street North, Smithfield, Dublin 7. The email address is***@******.***. PHone +353 1(###) ###-####/ 6728. Here you should search against the name of your aunt and see what happened in relation to her estate.

3. Be aware that if a grant of Probate was not taken out in relation to the estate of your late aunt, then whoever dealt with her affairs did not have lawful authority to deal with it and you can have it overturned. However, if a Grant of Probate was obtained you will be able to see what estate she had, any will and what happened in relation to the estate.

4. Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.