Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

I was abroad in Barcelona and on the day I was due to fly

Customer Question

I was abroad in Barcelona and on the day I was due to fly home my debit card company blocked my card. As a result of this, I was unable to withdraw money from an ATM and had no cash to get to the airport to get my flight home to Dublin.
I contacted my bank when I noticed, and they told me that it would take 24 hours for my card to be cleared. I missed my scheduled flight as a result of this, and had to rebook another one last minute, a huge expense to me.
I did not inform my bank that I was travelling abroad. I am only knew to having a bank account (as a student), and there was never any communication to me that failure to do so may result in my card being blocked.
Do I have any claim against my bank for this?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 months ago.

1. Dear *****er, once you can show negligence and breach of duty on the part of your bank in handling your financial affairs, then you can make a claim against them for loss and damage suffered as a result of their careless behaviour in handling your financial affairs. Here, the blocking of your card when you went abroad was beyond what a prudent banker would do when assessing the risk on your account. Basically, people travel abroad at all times. So putting a block on your account lead directly to your loss. So, for this, you should make a claim and seek recoupment of the additional expenditure you have incurred. So you should make a list of all the additional expenditure incurred and seek recompense from the bank for the loss caused.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.