Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

There,A close friend is facing Extradition to the USA

Customer Question

Hi there,
A close friend is facing Extradition to the USA from Ireland and I'm hoping you can give your opinion on a question.
The request is under Part 2 of the 1965 Act..(its pre-2012 amended version) They alleged offences occurred between
July 05 and May 07. The warrant was issued in around May 2012 from the Dublin High court. My question is are they Irish offences
under section 74(1) of the criminal justice act and section 15 of the 1965 Act (barring extradition) or does the date of the warrant bring them under the new 2012 version.
Any opinion regarding this matter would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Alex.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 6 months ago.
1. Dear Alex, it is not possible to answer your question unless you state what offences does the extradition relate to? What are the offences charged??? It is only then that you can determine whether there is an equivalent offence under Irish law. Extradition never takes place in relation to an Irish offence, as you suggest, only in relation to the foreign offence.