Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I had a couple of ltd companies that ceased trading in

Customer Question

Hi,, I had a couple of ltd companies that ceased trading in the 1990s with no debts nor assets. my accountant took care of all filings. the companies' statuses are still shown as "normal".on the CRO database. does this mean he never informed the companies office that the companies had ceased? If so, I am I liable for any penalties since these were over 20 years ago?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not really that I can think of. I just want to get the facts about my situation as regards ***** ***** filings.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.
1. You won't be liable for any penalties here, as someone else has been running your former companies in conformity with the Companies Acts and filing annual returns, as otherwise the CRO database would not show their record as "normal". So, you can take it that your accountant did not strike them off, if they have continually been used since then. The only other alternative explanation would be that the names were re-issued after a period of your companies being defunct. The policy in the CRO is to release names of companies back into use after 20 years of not being used. So, these would be freshly created companies if more than 20 years has passed bye. So, you simply need to check the date of incorporation to find out.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.