Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

I would like to ask your help in relation to 'squatting

Customer Question

I would like to ask your help in relation to 'squatting rights' on property.
We currently have a 'gentleman's agreement' with a farmer to allow horses to graze and live on a farm that is unoccupied and owned by a Limited company.
There are no formal agreements, monies exchanged or documentation between the company and farmer.
Can you advise on how long the farmer can use the property before eligibility for 'squatter rights'?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Yours sincerely
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 months ago.
1. Dear Anonymous, There needs to be 12 years continuous user, contrary to the interest of the owner before squatter's rights can be obtained. When I say contrary to the owners rights, any letting agreement is a recognition of the owners' title, so time does not begin to run against the owner during this period. To obtain squatter's rights, the farmer would have to fence off th eland and deny access to the owner or his agents or to third parties. Merely using land, as is occurring here, under a letting agreement can never amount to the assertion of squatter's rights. There must be a putting out of the owner of the land from the land and then denying access.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.