Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I was employed on a fixed term contract from 1 may 2013 to

Customer Question

I was employed on a fixed term contract from 1 may 2013 to 30 oct 2015. I continued to work and be paid beyond that date by my employer. I got notification, written or otherwise, from my employer that my contract was being extended. In late march 2016 my supervisor asked me what my plans were after the 31/3/2016. It seemed he was indicating that my employment was being terminated on 31/3/2016. I asked him if that was the case (I also advised that my terms and conditions state that I must be given 3 months written notice of employment termination) and he advised me that I should contact HR. Shortly afterwards I got an email from HR stating that my contract had been extended to 31/3/2016 on the request of my supervisor. 31 March 2016 came and went and HR asked me to a meeting. During that meeting a redundancy package was outlined to me comprising statutory PLUS 3 weeks per year of service. I was told that I could also take 3 months salary in lieu of notice on top of the redundancy. I said I would consider the information that I had been given. The HR manager asked me to email him a note regarding my understanding of whether my contract had been extended. I continued to work and be paid throughout April 2016. On 25 April 2016 I emailed the HR manager stating that I was never informed that my original contract was being extended. Shortly after sending the email I received an email from the HR manager stating that I was being given 3 months notice of termination of my employment and that my employment would terminate on 25 July 2016. I was also informed that I was required to take any unused annual during the notice period.
Can you please advise me if my employer can do this. I am a public sector worker
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second sentence corrected
I got NO notification, written or otherwise, from my employer that my contract was being extended.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Did you respond to the HR manager's request to confirm your understanding of the extended 3 month contract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I responded saying that I was never informed that my contract was being extended
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what you mean by "extended 3 month contract"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as per my terms and conditions of employment I was given 3 months notice of termination of employment on 25/4/16
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was the reply I gave to the HR manager by email
"As we discussed I wasn't given any indication, verbal, written or otherwise that my employment was being terminated or extended during the time I have worked with LYIT since May 2013."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see that you are a UK Lawyer. No offence but would it not be more appropriate for an Irish lawyer to be giving advice on Irish employment law?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello yes sorry I accidentally picked his up as I did not see it was ROI law, I will opt out and let an Irish lawyer deal with this, no need to reply in the meantime thanks