Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I'm writing on behalf of my father, His father died in

Customer Question

Hi
I'm writing on behalf of my father, His father died in 1945, and left no will, his mother passed away in 1990, one of his family members is living on home place , is my father entitled to some of the house and land.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 7 months ago.
1. The first thing which strikes me from the situation you narrate, is that owing to lapse of time, your father's rights to the will might have been ousted. He ought to have acted in 1990, 26 years ago, when his mother died. The situation now, is that the family member who is living in the home place, might seek to claim squatter's rights to the home place. This would give them rights of ownership after 12 years squatting in the house and lands. So, this is the first thing which strikes me after such a long lapse of time.
2. If the person living in the home place is not going to claim squatter's rights, then your father would share equally with his brothers and sisters in the assets owned by his mother. Similarly, he would have a share in one third of the estate of his father. However, it will be necessary that the wills of both his parents be properly administered, if he is to obtain his share. So, I would suggest he seeks to take out letters of administration to both his parents' estates. he can then control the arrangements which occur in relation to each estate. However, lapse of time, might be a major issue.
3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.