Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

There. I recently drove my car while drunk and crashed into

Customer Question

Hi there. I recently drove my car while drunk and crashed into a parked car. At the Garda station, the breathalyser read as 71. I have no previous convictions and I was wondering what I might now be facing. Thank you in advance.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 months ago.
1. The first thing you need to realise is that there is a mandatory two year ban from driving in relation to any drink driving charge. So the first thing you need to realise is that you won't be driving for two years. After that, you will receive a fine of between 400-200 euros. The fine will depend upon the extent to which the District Court Judge who is hearing the case views the seriousness of the offence. Here, because you crashed into another vehicle, you are likely to receive a fine at the higher end of the scale. fv
2. That should read 400 - 2000 euros. You will also receive some penalty points on your licence, normally four. However, it could be six given the gravity of the offence. This is roughly what you can expect. I would recommend you get yourself a good Road Traffic solicitor to represent you on the day in court. A good plea in mitigation will be worth its weight in gold to you and result in much lower fines and sanction. District Court Judges are notorious for preferring people to be legally represented. it might only cost you 50 euros but it will result in a lot less of a fine and penalty points. However, the driving ban cannot be escaped.
3. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.